Tuesday 21 February 2012

She said to Abram, “The LORD has kept me from having children." ~ Genesis 16:2b

After Susan took Abi and left for Halifax, the two of them remained in my heart and prayers. I longed to see Abi and how she'd grown and changed, but even though Susan kept me on her social network online and I was able to see a few pictures, I still felt so disconnected. At least Susan hadn't completely eliminated me from contact, for that I was grateful.In April 2007, I noticed a difference in my body. My appetite had grown, I had gained a few pounds, my cycle had gone longer than normal, and I was feeling a little under the weather. I didn't want to get my hopes up in case my mind was playing tricks on me again.
Before I could find out for sure if I was pregnant, I went to a women's retreat to Lake Louise for the weekend, expecting to see my hopes dashed out that Sunday morning. The weekend went slowly and all I could think of while attending services, exploring trails with the other ladies, and laying awake in bed was whether there was a child growing secretly in my belly.
When I had finally returned home, I bought a double home pregnancy test kit and took the first test in secret the next morning, as my body had left me in suspense. I planned to save the second test for when Rhys got home that night so I could prepare myself for the results with the first test, expecting to see yet another negative.
Leaving the stick on the bathroom counter for the recommended 30 seconds, I tried my best not to stair at it, wishing for a clear +. I averted my attention to my complexion in the mirror, took note of the look on my face and changed the expression to that of a more natural, gentle smile as opposed to the grim, scared look of worry. Pleased with the appearance, I took a glance down at the now fully developed test. The vertical line was very clear, it was only after I lifted the tiny instrument and examined it more closely that the results were entirely visible. A very faint horizontal line appeared within the same window as the bold vertical line. Surprize, shock, and delight hit me all at once. I doubted the test briefly, wondering if the test might be defective and show a false positive. My excitement peaked when Rhys arrived home for lunch that afternoon and demanded that I take the test right away. Unknowing that I had tested once before, he waited as patiently as he could. The second test revealed yet another faint horizontal line along with a very strong vertical line. Rhys was puzzled.
It pleased me greatly to share the news with him allowed, "We're pregnant!"
Again, I saw that unforgettable smile on his face. At that moment, God's miracles became reality in our lives.
It was a special time for us to find out we were pregnant, having lost my Grandpa Elmer the month before, 3 months after Rhys and I reunited, nearly 3 years since we'd been married, and in the year of 2007 (7 being one of God's favorite numbers to use when describing holy things). It gave us an even greater appreciation for parenthood and probably an even greater joy than most parents at the first news of their first fruits. I was told I couldn't have kids, but here I was: pregnant!
God had kept us from having children up to this point for a reason. We still didn't fully understand why, but we knew then that there was a purpose... that there IS a purpose in EVERYTHING that God does.

Now the LORD was gracious to Sarah as he had said, and the LORD did for Sarah what he had promised. Sarah became pregnant and bore a son to Abraham in his old age, at the very time God had promised him. Abraham gave the name Isaac to the son Sarah bore him. - Gen. 21:1-3

Sarah said, “God has brought me laughter, and everyone who hears about this will laugh with me.” And she added, “Who would have said to Abraham that Sarah would nurse children? Yet I have borne him a son in his old age.” - Gen. 21:6-7

No comments:

Post a Comment